April 7, 2009

The magic show

Every morning when Austin wakes up I turn the TV on to Noggin or Nick Jr. mainly just for the background noise but also because Austin likes to look at the TV when I'm changing his diaper (and I like that he looks at it because it keeps him still and from rolling all over the place). I never just sit him in front of the TV unless I've got a Baby Einstein DVD in (which I only use in emergencies) because I believe that babies need lots of interactive play and I don't want to start an early TV habit, but I do turn it on so that he can hear all the sounds and music.

Lately I've started to notice that no matter what Austin is doing, as soon as the theme song from the Backyardigans comes on, he turns towards the TV and goes into a trance. Then once it's over he goes back to doing whatever it was he was doing. It doesn't matter if he's in the middle of a bottle, jumping in his jumperoo, or in my lap playing....it never fails that as soon as the show comes on he is glued!!

So today I DVR'd the show and started it up as soon as Austin began to get fussy and it worked like a charm! I have no idea what it is about that theme song that he likes so much, but lets just say that the Backyardigans CD is being delievered this week for those dreaded car rides where he won't calm down! They sing a lot of fun songs on the show that Austin also enjoys, but nothing has the same effect as the theme song. It's actually a pretty cute show and I find myself watching it sometimes when it's on. I even get the songs stuck in my head and sing them throughout the day. I even bought Austin a stuffed toy of one of the characters for Easter, a purple kangaroo named Austin, my favorite!


No comments:

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.