April 2, 2009

Making the switch

So, after 5.5 months of strictly breast milk, we have finally decided to make the switch to formula. I hated to do it and I was pretty depressed about it at first, but it is working out for the better and making things a little easier on us all. I would have liked to breastfeed for longer but my supply was getting so low and Austin's bottles kept getting bigger and bigger. I was having to pump 2-3 times just for one 7.5 oz. bottle and with an active 5.5 month old (and a mommy who didn't want to be confined to the house all day) it was getting increasingly hard to be tied down for 20 minutes every couple of hours. So, after we depleted our frozen supply it was finally time to give in to formula.

Well, let me just say, formula is a whole different ball game! First of all, finding the right one is a chore in itself. There are so many to choose from...milk based, soy based, hypoallergenic, lactose free and gentle formulas to name a few. We tried soy first, but after reading up on soy, decided to try the hypoallergenic, which Austin completely refused. Then we moved on to the lactose free and have stuck with that for now, but plan to try the gentle formula soon and see if that will work out. Austin has a milk allergy/sensitivity so that's making things a little bit more difficult I guess. So, here are my observations after starting formula:

1. First of all, formula is EXPENSIVE! It's at least $20/week and could be more depending on the formula you use.

2. The stuff stinks!! Breast milk was almost odorless which made meant that burps, gas and spit up were almost odorless as well. The smell of formula sometimes makes me want to gag!

3. It stains. Formula will stain clothing so I have to pay special attention to all of Austin's clothes/bibs/blankets/etc. and make sure to use Shout on all the spots before washing.

4. Mixed formula has to be refrigerated. Breast milk could sit at room temp. for several hours which was great when traveling. Now we have to carry around powder formula and a bottle of water for mixing when we go out.

5. Poopy diapers are a WHOLE different story! Breastfed babies usually have more frequent bowel movements and they don't really have an offensive odor. Formula poopy diapers are darker, thicker and 100 times more smelly!!! I'm not sure I'll ever convince Ryan to change another dirty diaper!

6. Gassy! Some types of formula get bubbly or foamy when mixed which can cause excess gas. Luckily I read a great little tip which was to add a few drops of Mylicon to each bottle to get rid of some of the bubbles.

7. Constipation. This is probably caused by the formula and solids combined, but my poor baby has a terrible time going #2 now and grunts and turns red when he has to go. The doctor's office told me to sprinkle pro biotic in his bottles to help and it has a little, but they still aren't happening as frequent as we would like.

So, just a note to all you expecting mommies out there...I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding and believe that EVERY new mom should at least try it, even if only for a few weeks. There is no doubting the amazing benefits, after all, it was God's intention for babies to be breastfed. Formula may be fine, but breast is the best! I'm very happy that I made it the amount of time that I did and only hope I can make it even longer the next time around!

2 comments:

Stefania's Blog said...

Enfamil does not stain...At least lipil and gentlease. I tried only those two and was fine with gentlease right off the bat. I heard similac stains. I have never tried it. Maybe this is what you are referring to.

PS: what is probiotic??

Jennifer said...

We've only used the Similac brand so far. We might try out the Enfamil gentlease next since you said Sofia does well on it and it doesn't stain.

Probiotic comes in a capsule or powder form that you can buy at most drug stores (may have to ask the pharmacist for it, but you don't need a prescription). The nurse told me to sprinkle it in his bottles and the active cultures should make his bowels more regular and easier to pass. It's the same stuff that's in yogurt but you don't have to worry about the potential allergic reactions that some babies (ie Austin) could have to ingredients in certain yogurts.

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.