June 8, 2011

1st Day of Preschool

Yesterday was Austin's very first day of preschool!  Yeah, we're a little backwards here with him starting preschool in the summer, but it's only 2 mornings a week and it will give me a good idea whether or not he's A) ready for preschool in the fall and B) if we like this new place enough to enroll him then.

Austin was super excited to go to school yesterday morning to the point where he was actually trying to push me out the door.  (He was so anxious to leave that I forgot to grab his lunchbox out of the fridge and had to go back and get it after dropping him of....of course!!)  He was wearing his backpack with pride and talking about "going to school to play with all the girls and boys" the entire way there.  I walked him to his room and he immediately went over to the bins of toys where he found....you guessed it....cars!  I talked to his teacher for a quick moment and called over to Austin, "I love you sweetie, bye bye!"  Austin managed to tear his eyes away from the new toys for a quick moment and just looked at me and said "bye!"  I wasn't exactly surprised by his response, but his teacher was very happy to have at least one kid in the class who didn't throw a tantrum the second their parent walked out the door.

So, in Austin's absence, Owen and I enjoyed a nice, calm, quiet grocery shopping trip and then came home for some fun "mommy and me" time.  It was wonderful to spend that quality time with my littlest boy all while knowing Austin was just down the street probably having a blast with lots of other little kids his age.

A little before 1pm we went to pick up Austin.  I was so excited to see him and when he walked out of the door and saw me he ran and gave me a huge hug and said "Mommy, you're here!"  It totally made up for the nonchalant "bye" from that morning.  I could tell by the look on his face that he was exhausted and he didn't say much on the ride home. Finally, at home he began to tell me about his day which apparently consisted of running until the music stopped, singing, jumping, eating cheese and crackers and making "paw prints."  The paw prints he was referring to was a cute little picture where he made hand prints with paint.  He's going through a Blues Clues phase right now....

I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings!!

1 comment:

Braden said...

Just stumbled across your blog, I remember being a little munchkin and heading off to my first school days. I didn't have blues clues that's for sure! Interesting blog :)

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.