February 14, 2008

Breaking the good news...



I just couldn't wait to share the news with Ryan, so on the 13th I went to Target and bought a digital pregnancy test (the ones that say Pregnant or Not Pregnant) along with a cute onesie saying "50% Mommy, 50% Daddy, 100% Cute!" I came home and immediately took the digital test and within a minute got another positive result!! By this time I had taken 4 tests and was pretty certain it was for real! I put the test and onesie in a bag along with a little card exclaiming "We're Expecting!" and put it aside to give to Ryan later in the evening.

That night we went over to my mother-in-law's house for dinner like we do once every week and since the next day was Valentine's Day she greeted us with a bottle of pink champagne. I politely said I didn't care for any, which was a shock to them both since the next words out of Ryan and Jo Ann's mouths were "Are you pregnant or something?" It's not like I normally jump at the chance for a taste of alcohol, but I do like champagne! It was so hard not to say "YES, I actually AM pregnant!" but I kept down my urge to announce the good news and said to pour me a small glass and I'd just have a little. Of course I put the glass to my lips as to not draw too much suspicion and took the tiniest sip possible. I then left the rest of the glass on the table and was glad no one was paying too much attention.

That night after we got home I asked Ryan to sit down and turn off the TV because I had an early Valentine's surprise for him. I came out of the bedroom with a little gift bag and my camera, but I had decided to take out the pregnancy test and hide it behind my back. Ryan was immediately suspiciuos since our friend Tonya broke the news to her husband by putting her pregnancy test in a bag and giving it to him as a gift. Ryan said "There's not a pregnancy test in here is there?" and since I had actually just taken it out, I truthfully replied, "No!" Ryan opened the gift and was very confused at the onesie. I told him to open the card and once he read it he was in total disbelief. I belive his words were "Is this a joke?" Keep in mind we were not trying to conceive, but had discussed it several times and knew that it was something we both really wanted after we had been married a little longer. So, I pulled out the pregnancy test and showed it to him and his expression went from confused to happy to confused again. All Ryan could say was, "How is this possible?" "How did this happen?" "Are you sure you did the test right?" I went to the bathroom and pulled out the other tests I had taken to show him that it was for real. I think the shock that initially overcame him started to dissipate and he gave me a big hug and patted my stomach.

Of course we talked all night about our baby news and went through too many emotions to name and had so many questions. "How will we afford this?" How are we going to tell our parents?" "What will we name it?" "Can we still make it to all the Clemson football games?" :)

All in all, we are both thrilled about our new little surprise and can't wait to share the good news!!

No comments:

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.