April 15, 2008

First Screen results & ultrasound pics!

Ryan and I just got back from Dr. Greig's office which specializes in high-risk pregnancies. Their office is right down the street from my usual OB/GYN. No, my pregnancy is not high-risk, but my office refers their patients there because they are better staffed and prepared to do these genetic screenings...plus they have a 4D ultrasound machine!

This was my first abdominal ultrasound and I enjoyed it much more than the first one! I also enjoyed it more because baby Harris actually looks like a baby now and not a tiny gummi bear. We got to enjoy the ultrasound images for almost 20 minutes because baby Harris wasn't cooperating and wouldn't move to the best position, actually, Baby wouldn't quit moving! We've definately got a little active one in there! :) The nurse kept poking my belly with the probe and everytime she'd poke hard enough, Baby would do little flips and squirm all around. It was so cute to watch!!! I think baby was getting agitated with all the movement and just wanted to relax.

Baby's heart was beating at 158 bpm which is good and normal. Baby even measured a week bigger, but they said my due date will probably stay the same for the time being. It was really exciting to see baby Harris in 4D, in fact those might be my favorite pictures! I didn't think I'd like 4D because it was a little weird looking, but you could actually see so much better!

Anyway, down to the reason for the ultrasound! It was to test for the genetic defects of trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome) and trisomy 18. Once Baby cooperated and got into a good position, a measurement was taken of the fluid in the neural tube. I won't go into all the details, but baby H measured just fine which puts him/her at a 1 in 2000 chance of having the genetic disorders. The ultrasound was accompanied by a blood test and I will get those results back on Monday, but should things come back normal as expected, there will be over an 82% chance baby H will be just fine. In fact, Dr. Greig said we should go ahead and quit worrying about the little one and start worrying about saving for college since baby looks good and healthy!!

I could go on and on and on about the visit and how much fun we had watching the ultrasound, but I'll go ahead and post the pictures for everyone to see baby H at 12.5 weeks!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those 4D ultra sounds are so amazing! Also, I like the new background!

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.