November 15, 2009

Into the wild!

Today Austin turned 13 months old and we thought we'd celebrate the occasion (and the gorgeous day) with a trip to the Greenville Zoo! Being from Columbia, I have become accustomed to the large and diverse Riverbanks Zoo, but I like the Greenville Zoo even though it's much smaller. You can see the entire thing in about 1.5 hours and it's not usually very crowded. The animals are in smaller enclosures and you can see them up very close which is a wonderful thing to experience. Of course, the fact that they're in such small enclosures does bother me, I have to admit.

Austin enjoyed looking at the animals, the big ones he could actually see, that is. I still think that mom and dad enjoyed it a bit more, but I have a feeling he'll be a big fan in a few more years. He did, however, really enjoy getting down to walk around the zoo himself, and since it wasn't so crowded, we let him. However, he got a little too excited at one point and took a minor spill on the concrete and got a little scraped up. He was such a big boy, though, and was back to his happy self in no time, but Ryan and I felt extremely guilty! I had to keep reminding ourselves that he's an active boy and he's going to fall down more than a few times in his life....especially if he's anything like his daddy! I just don't think I'll ever get used to the injuries, even the tiny bumps and bruises give me a sick feeling in my stomach.

Anyway, it was a fun trip and a great way to spend a beautiful afternoon. Happy 13 months Austin! You're just growing up right before our eyes!!

That's a pretty large hand print!

Admiring the giant elephants, my favorites!

The reptile house...probably our least favorite exhibit...which I'm sure will end up being Austin's favorite!

This one is for Ryan, he's completely freaked out by snakes!

The Lion King!

Whoa! Glad we were behind some thick glass. This guy looks hungry!

Austin was most amused by the tall giraffes.

Looking for the orangutan family!

Again, very glad this guy was behind glass!!!

What's a trip to the zoo without gazing at a few goats?

No comments:

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.