December 27, 2008

A very special Christmas gift!




This Christmas Ryan went above and beyond when it came to my gifts. I didn't expect much after the gorgeous diamond earrings for my birthday...I mean how can it get better than that?! Well, Ryan was paying attention this year and did something so very special and unexpected.

Last weekend we were at my parents house and I was admiring my mom's Christmas tree and looking at all the ornaments I remembered from growing up. I started thinking of my Grandmother Elsie and how every Christmas she wore these gorgeous Towle silver medallions on a chain representing the 12 days of Christmas. Even though she has been gone for many years now, every Christmas I think of her and remember how she wore those beautiful medallions when she came to visit every Christmas.

I asked my mom where they were and she pointed out a few on her Christmas tree where they are now used as beautiful silver ornaments. She told me that my grandfather had given grandma 1 medallion each year until he died in 1980, but that they were split up between her and my uncle since she passed away.

These medallions represent one of the many wonderful memories I have of my grandmother and Ryan apparently saw that day how much it meant to me. He surprised me this Christmas with all 12 of the medallions in their original boxes dating back from 1971 until 1982. I was so shocked that I was speechless and all I could do was cry. He suggested we get a miniature tree and decorate it every Christmas with just these 12 special ornaments and then eventually pass them down to our children and grandchildren.

I am so grateful that he found them for me and I am so shocked and in awe of such a thoughtful and wonderful gift. This is one of those gifts that I will remember and treasure always.

No comments:

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.