August 7, 2009

My First Boo-boo

Last night was about one of the worst nights I've experienced so far as a parent. I am a very laid back person and I can handle a lot of things, but Austin's first real boo-boo was one I wasn't prepared for!

It all started around 6:30 pm and of course my dear husband was still slaving away at the office. Austin was just as happy as he could be, getting into everything, crawling around, chewing on a toy, opening and closing the drawers on the end table, the usual. I was sitting on the couch taking a breather from the constant up and downs and baby wrangling that had been taking place that afternoon when Austin started crawling back down the hallway towards the stairs. I sighed and prepared to go chasing after him for the 47th time when he suddenly stopped, put his head down and started shaking in a way I had never seen.

I ran to my baby and scooped him up and saw that his face was red and his mouth was wide open but no sound was coming out. I made it halfway across the living room when he unleashed a painful cry and started shaking again and kicking his legs violently. I saw nothing wrong so I held him to my chest and ran to find him a paci, assuming he was just frustrated, tired, or his knees were hurting from crawling on the hardwoods.

Austin was limp in my arms and still screaming when I made it to the kitchen to get his paci. I pulled his head away from my shoulder to give it to him and that's when I saw the blood. It was on my shirt, on his shirt, and just flowing from his mouth and down his chin. I didn't know what to do so I panicked and held him tighter and started crying hysterically. I grabbed the phone to call my husband but he didn't answer. I was hoping he would tell me what to do because I honestly had no idea. I paced around the living room while holding my screaming, bleeding baby for several minutes before I calmed down enough to try and figure out what was wrong.

I laid him on the floor and wiped away the blood with a cloth while he laid there whimpering and looking at me with pleading eyes. I had the phone ready to dial 911 when I finally got a good look in his mouth and noticed it wasn't the horrific injury I was expecting, but a tiny cut on his upper lip. Apparently he bit his lip pretty hard with none other than that one and only little bottom tooth that popped through a couple weeks earlier.

I finally relaxed a little...well...enough to clean up his mouth, fetch the Tylenol and a bottle and concentrate on helping my little guy feel better. We were both exhausted from the boo-boo disaster and after we cuddled up and watched an episode of Go, Diego Go, I put my exhausted baby to bed.

I was in bed reading an hour later when Ryan finally got home and it took me almost 2 hours after that to muster up the courage to tell him what happened. I couldn't hold back the tears as I told him the story and showed him the blood on the tiny t-shirt with the turtle applique.

I know it all seems a little dramatic for a cut lip right? I can only imagine what the ambulance drivers would have thought when they showed up to my house, sirens blazing, for a busted lip. I just hope nothing worse ever happens while I'm here with Austin by myself...I just don't think i can take it! Good thing I never went into any kind of emergency care profession, right?

No comments:

Followers



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.